Subject Guide- European Studies
Use this guide is a starting point for finding information either from library resources or through selected web sites from the appropriate Subject Internet Gateway. Please select an option below.
Subject Support Liaison LibrarianThe library liaison for Humanities is Niamh Walker-Headon BA, MSc LIS, ALAI.
- Use the library online catalogue to check what books, journals, videos, student projects etc. are in the library
- My Account tells you view what items you have on loan, here you can place requests for items on loan to by another user & renew your own loans.
- The library's Electronic resources provide access to: full text peer reviewed journal articles, abstracts, conferences and standards.
- The Internet is also a source of information. To assist you we have selected some web-sites and search portals for your subject area on the Subject Portals. These contain links to Subject Internet Gateways which list preselected links to web pages, so you don't have to do the searching.
Journals for this subject area are available in both print and electronic formats.
Print copies are available in the library to the left of the stairs. See a list on the library catalogue
Electronic journals are available:
- freely on the internet - to see a listing please see the subject internet Gateway
- or via our subscription services - to see a listing please see the databases home page or on your subject portal
Relevant Databases & Electronic Resources
are available via the Subject Internet Gateways .
Class numbers are used to shelve library items in numerical order. Each number represents a subject. All the books on the same subject should be found together. Normally we will have added the first three letters of the surname of author to the class number, to make them easier to find.
Just follow the signage until you reach the number you require, and then follow the numbers on the spines of the books until you find the book you want.
|Topic - European Studies||Class Numbers|
|Political Ideologies and movements||320.5|
|Economics as a cause of war||355.0273|
|European History 1930-1950||940.51-940.55|
|World War 2||320.53|
|Economic growth and planning||338.9|
|History of the British isles and Ireland||941-942|
|History of central Europe inc. Germany||943|
|History of France||944|
|History of Italy||945|
|History of Spain||946|
|History of eastern Europe inc. Russia||947|
|History of Scandinavia||948|
|History of other parts of Europe||949|
This material is located in the reference section of the library, near the library desk.
This material cannot be removed from the library.
|New Palgrave dictionary of economics||Reference 330.0321|
|International Law dictionary||Reference 340|
|Lettres Europeennes||Reference 800|
|Oxford companion to English literature||Reference 809.03|
|Blackwell companion to modern Irish culture||Reference 941.5|
|Chronology of Irish history since 1500||Reference 941.50202|
|Dictionary of contemporary Germany||Reference 943.0879|
|Encyclopedia of contemporary French culture||Reference 944.0803 HUG|