Guide to Library Laptops
Instructions for the use of library laptops
- Students may need to run the laptop with the charger plugged in.
- Turn on the lap top.
- Power points are located under the desks in the Silent Study area on Mezzanine.
- At the prompt press ‘ctrl’, ‘alt’ and ‘del’ together.
- Log onto the laptop using the username ‘student’ and the password ‘student’.
- Double click on the Internet Explorer Icon
- Click yes to accept the security certificate if required
- In the top left corner of the web page that opens log on using your usual network log on:
Student number: X00000000
Date of birth: dd/mm/yy
- Laptops are strictly for library use only.
- Laptops cannot be booked in advance.
- Laptops are only available while the library desk service is available.
- Laptops can be borrowed for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Penalty points apply for overdue laptops; Penalty points will accumulate immediately upon the item becoming overdue.
1 penalty points per 15 mins will be applied.
- Laptops must be returned promptly to the library desk, accompanied by their charger and any other materials supplied with the laptop.
If you have difficulties connecting to the network, please contact a member of library staff immediately.
Please note that use of these laptops is governed by the Institute’s acceptable usage policy.
- Personal laptops which are connected to the Network using the Wi-Fi Service can be used.
- Please go to computing services to have your laptop set-up.
Laptop Computer Lending Policy
All laptop users are expected to abide by the College, and Library's Code of Conduct and Food and Drinks Policy. They are also bound by the regulations covering the usage of computing and network facilities as set out in the Institute Regulations handbook.
- LIABILITY:The user agrees to assume any and all legal liability for the cost of repair or replacement in the event of loss due to theft, damage, negligence or misuse. The Library will not assume responsibility for lost or corrupted files due to viruses, hardware failure or network interruptions.
- ELIGIBILITY:Laptop computer loans are restricted to current Institute of Technology Tallaght students of good standing only. As stipulated in the Library's Borrowing Policy, users who fail to return overdue items and/or have 20 or more penalty points lose their library borrowing privileges. This includes the borrowing of laptops.
- INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY TALLAGHT ID:Laptops are available for loan on a first-come, first-served basis at the Main Desk. Eligible users MUST present their valid Institute of Technology Tallaght photo ID card without exception, when requesting a laptop.
- LOAN PERIOD:The loan period for laptops is 3 hours. Laptops may be borrowed for use inside the Library only. Laptops are to be returned 15 minutes before the Library desk service closes.
- RENEWALS: Laptops must be presented at the Library Desk for return on the expiry of the initial 3 hour period. Depending on the availability, and/or the absence of other users waiting to borrow the equipment the item may be checked out again to the same borrower.
- ADVANCE BOOKING: Holds or advance bookings are not available. Laptop computers must be returned in-person to staff at the Main Desk. Users will be required to wait so that staff can verify that all laptop accessories have been returned.
Fines for Laptops
- FINES: the Laptops will be subject to the Penalty Point System already in operation in the library. A ‘Grace Period' of 15 minutes will be in operation after which 1 Penalty Point will be awarded to the borrower and subsequently after each quarter hour until the laptop is checked in on the system.
- REPLACEMENT AND DAMAGE FINES: The user assumes full financial responsibility. The replacement charge for a laptop is €1,100 or for its repair will be levied for damaged laptops. Any laptop equipment malfunctions should be reported immediately to the library staff.