Guide for Full-time Undergraduates
How do I join?
As a registered student, you automatically have access/membership to the library
- Your ID card is also used as your library card.
- Always have your card with you because you will need it to borrow books, obtain reference material and use the photocopiers & printers.
- Please inform student services about lost cards. You are responsible for all items borrowed with it.
- Please also familiarise yourself with the Library Regulations.
How do I borrow?
Books are issued to you by staff at the library desk or by using the self-service machine.
- A maximum of 10 items can be borrowed.
- General Collection - 10 items for 3 weeks. These may be renewed at the desk, by telephone or online. All items are subject to recall.
- Short Loan — 4 items for 3 days. This may not be renewed.
- DVD collection– 4 items for 3 days.
- Reference collection– library use only.
- Journals - library use only..
- 1 penalty point per day for each book.
- 5 points per day for short loan books.
- 1 penalty point per day for DVD's.
- At 20 penalty points, you will be blocked from borrowing.
How do I find relevant information?
A library PIN is required to access library resources both on and off campus. These include:
- Exam papers
- Your account
- Renew and request books
- Online databases
- To set up your PIN click the link or visit the library desk where staff can help you.
Library web catalogueThe library catalogue allows you to check what books, journals, videos, student projects etc. that are held in the library, whether it’s available and where it is shelved. You can also view what items you have or have had on loan, place requests for items on loan to another user and renew your own loans.
Ask a Librarian
The ask a librarian service is for ITT Dublin library users who need answers to relatively uncomplicated questions about the library or research material in print and online related to your courses and projects.
Inter library loans
Books and articles unavailable in the Institute's library may be ordered from other institutions using the inter-library loan service. Some may be requested online.
Photocopiers and printing
Your ID card acts as your photocopier card. Simply put credit on your ID card using the virtual cash machine (located in the college foyer near the toilets) and swipe or key in your student number.
A number of computers are located in the main area on the mezzanine floor. There is also an open access computer lab on the mezzanine level of the library where you can access Microsoft Office products and the internet.
A small number of notebook laptops are available to borrow from the library desk for library use only. Penalty points apply for overdue laptops.
Group study rooms
If you need to work together, you can book one of our group study rooms, located on the mezzanine. These may be booked online through the library website.
The library has specialised software and hardware for use by students with disabilities or learning difficulties.
Please consult the following links:
- Disability Support in the library
- Website Accessibility Statement,
- Disability Office
- Access Office
- Bags should be left in the storage area outside the library or in personal lockers.
- Please make sure your mobile phone is turned off or switched to silent. Do not make or take calls.
- If the gate alarm sounds as you leave the library, please return to the desk.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the library.
- If you forget your self assigned library PIN number, contact a member of library staff or reset the PIN.
- There is a penalty point system for overdue books. To avoid accruing penalty points, please return or renew your items on or before the due date. You can renew your books online
- All communication & notifications from the library to students will be via your email account.
- Past exam papers are available online via the library catalogue.
- Personal laptops can be used in the library and may be powered from available power points. The Institute is not liable for any damage caused as a result of supply and/or technical problems. If you wish to log on to the Institute network you need to set up and connect to Eduroam
The library has an extensive DVD collection with DVDs covering a range of subjects. 4 DVDs can be borrowed for a 3 day period. A DVD player is available in the mezzanine area in Study Room 3. You will need to book Study Room 3 to use the DVD player .
For more information on library facilities, check out the library A-Z guide
Things to remember
If we can do anything to help you make the most of the library’s resources, please let us know